I am A PLATONIC! A PHILOSOPHER! A MODERNISTS!
..... edged writing beyond a mere occupation to a state of being, a prophetic and exilic stance from which to observe and critique mainstream society.....

Monday, February 18, 2008

Mitti Avazan Mardi … Acctually…!!!




Day started early , the smell of ma ironing a beautiful pair of salwar kamiz just been pulled outta the safest corner of the cupboard smelling a fresh auroma of moth free balls which are put in every nook and corner of ma’s closet( to over insure the safety of her precious collection of sarees and suits and havnt we all made fun of her for this religious exercise of hers at some point or other of our lives ) anyway, all dressed for a wedding ,another of my brother is scheduled to be sacrificed today of the freedom that only a single stature can enjoy, yes hes getting married!

The marriage is out of ordinary scheduled to be done at the village and not in any flashy expensive city palaces or hotels, as the couple wants to take vows in the gurudwara they held close to their hearts and remembering going their childhood days spend in the village, plus to mark an auspicious occasion and a point in your life don’t you want to do things differently?

Not really found of attending weddings but as I grow up I see cousins more close and known to me tying knots instead of strangers whose weddings you find the most boring occasions attended in your life, these are far more fun now. So I agree to drive ma and my self to the village and plus I had no idea when was the last I ever went to a village, something draws me to these places where a complete town equivalence of a population lives like a family and is unaware of the evils right from pollution to cheats that exists in the urban society.

So we set off to my ma’s village after I googled up to the forgotten ways of this part of Punjab. Was a 2 hours plus drive , couldnt ask for a better head start to a day for a person who loves to be behind the wheel and on the road.
A quick visit to the nearest filling station, got my ford loaded and checked for the drive and we set off. I felt good to see what the previous govt (congress) did for Punjab the wide roads nicely painted and marked , made it easier for us to navigate our way out.
But highways could get boring ,specially if you driving with your mother ( wink , no pun intended) so I put on my FM but remote areas dint catch the city stations so I switched to my CD payer and found few of my cds missing from the stack and few of dads classics slid in instead. Ahhhh… I couldnt believe my ears and confirmed with my mum if it was what I was hearing that it is what I thought it was … yeh whatever…! But it was!
Yamla Jatt ! hes an old folk music artist of Punjab probably the oldest and the most popular of all times , what Rumi was for Afghanistan ,he was to of early punjab!
His words in my head , few I couldnt comprehend so I resorted to my mother now and then to get meanings to typical words of Punjabi no longer used, but all it did was MAKE SENSE up there between my ears just as Godsmack does to me , he must have been the Godsmack to my father .
So picture the scene , villages ( though pretty modern to times), green fields( often gold), fresh sunlight ( luckily the temp is rising now), wide roads( accompanied by row of fig trees arched over the highway from both sides ,with gold leaves dangling delicately few already on the ground which make a crushing music beneath the tyres,gives a feeling of as you walking actually driving into heaven!just as the bride walks up her aisle to her love!).
It was a drive I remembered doing couple of times with dad during much younger days,brought me flashbacks of those times.

But then this strange thing happened as we were trying to locate the house of my uncle that belonged to my Maternal grand father long long time back , I told my ma to relax because maybe I know the way . she said she herself dint know, how could I do cuz all I ever came there was probably 10 or 15 years back and not more than couple of times .
But I let her complain at every turn I made and within few minutes we were right where we were suppose to be !
I still cant believe my self for that. Its kinda got me thinking , I guess some places are worth remembering the ways to of , for a better reason. I had mine and it as all worth it .
Meeting my cousins after years, coming to this gurudwara with a historic profile ,and in whose building of contained a hand of my grand father’s!
It felt great…made my day!!!


Peace to the departed and love to all who dwell in the remains of their’s.

Have a nice day!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

awsome...u betr start writin our dream book before i kil u...!

umangexuberance said...

hmmm agree with Priyanka.. this was quite a descriptive piece.
way to go tashi