I am A PLATONIC! A PHILOSOPHER! A MODERNISTS!
..... edged writing beyond a mere occupation to a state of being, a prophetic and exilic stance from which to observe and critique mainstream society.....

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Buyin a ticket to trouble




Still resorting to turning up at the reservation counters to book tickets for the trains i walked in the office to be in for a surprise that despite no holiday season the plc was full of men unusually crowded.
The only advantage to being a woman in a country like ours is we get the facility to form lines that secure the females of the inconvenience to stand in long queue full of 'bhaiyas'!

But this day as i maneuvered between these men trying to find the queue that gets me closest to the counter i find my self drawing a lot of hussle bussle among the long queue consisting of 60-70 odd 3rd or 4th class employees men who look at me as if i was a virus who could explode into a disaster any time ,so they keep a close watch yet pass lude comments
and leave sighs ... uugghh....for a min i looked around n thought to my self am i buying a ticket to trouble instead?
as i stood there requesting for my request to be tended to first, and i be out as soon as possible but it got worse , men got more agitated telling me to move back to the line and wait with them , i was able to shut off few around me telling them that its in the law book that females
are entitled to be attended first at such crowded places, and there point held no meaning to me, as I turned and I was facing this face right up to my nose ,she’s another young woman like me who has been enduring this harassment before me and has found her solace in me ,another companion and warned me not to listen to these men and just stand there and wait till I bought my ticket and was out .

I did buy my ticket after a lot of compromises with having men stepping into my circle of comfort and I being aware of their gazes undress me right in front of my eyes , but being a girl in this country , a female adapts to this cycle of accepting and ignoring the very fact of how men treat the sight of women on streets, the foremost even before she’s aware of her feminism.

Well my point of drawing this incidence is to awaken the consciousness we all already have ,as we all (women) for once or the other while have got into a tiff with a mob of men following a lot of indecent argument to which despite of the female holding her rightly point out would still loose to the male dominance.

Women don’t need just a place in an office to work with the men counterpart, but the respect and acceptance just as the rest, they don’t need the freedom to walk n travel on streets and worldwide independently but the security and integrity from fellow human beings to be called equals.

Its true men and women can never be weighed in the same balance and declared hence equals , but cant we just have the peace of mind to walk n move without the fact of knowing that there are few gazes that we don’t want us to be following!
In all this turmoil cant we just have a bit of a chivalry shown or is it too much to ask for???

No comments: